In 2003, Dr. Lawrence Britt wrote an article about Fascism. It was published in the Free Inquiry magazine. He studied the fascist regimes of Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Suharto (Indonesia) and Pinochet (Chile).
He found they all had 14 elements in common. These were:
- Powerful and Continuing Nationalism.
- Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights.
- Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause.
- Supremacy of the Military.
- Rampant Sexism.
- Controlling Mass Media.
- Obsession with National Security.
- Religion and Government are Intertwined.
- Corporate Power is Protected.
- Labor Power is Suppressed.
- Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts.
- Obsession with Crime and Punishment.
- Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
- Fraudulent Elections.